Feel the Love this Valentine’s Day; Increase Libido and Desire
With Valentine’s Day just a few days away, I thought I would focus this week’s article on libido issues and how you can increase libido and desire for a more fulfilling love life with your Valentine. Testosterone is considered the “life force hormone” as it supports sex drive and sexual function.
The most significant testosterone robber is a large waist, which leads to low sex drive, erectile dysfunction, depressed mood, sleep disturbances, lethargy and diminished physical performance. Weight gain also accelerates decline in testosterone levels.
For many men, erectile dysfunction can be resolved with weight loss, instead of medications. So, put away the Viagra and start the following regimen to improve your libido.
- Manage stress – excessive demand for cortisol limits testosterone production and over time, leads to increased belly fat, further reducing testosterone levels.
- Proper diet – too much sugary and starchy foods will spike blood sugar, which is a form of physical stress triggering excess production of cortisol and then we’ll end up with the scenario mentioned above.
- Physical activity – even just daily walks will help get your testosterone levels up and maintain other hormones at healthy levels.
- Sleep – getting enough sleep is a prerequisite for maintaining optimum testosterone production.
- Saw Palmetto – Native Americans used berries of the saw palmetto to boost libido and today it is available as a dietary supplement for prostate health.
Of course, a healthy lifestyle also has more significant benefits to your overall health since low testosterone is associated with heart disease, diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease and prostate cancer. But if increasing libido is what gets you on the path to health, I’ll take it