- 4 Tbsps coconut oil, grapeseed oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound chicken, pork or sirloin steak cut into strips, or shrimp
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 onion, cut into thin strips
- 1 large portabello mushroom, cut into strips
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- the zest and juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup water
- Butter lettuce to serve
- Optional toppings: diced tomatoes, diced tomatillos, sliced avocado, salsa, chopped cilantro
In a large skillet, add 2 Tbsp of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken (or other meat) until done, about 5-7 minutes. Stir often so it gets brown on all sides. Remove the meat to a plate.
Returning to the skillet, add the other 2 Tbsp of oil, add the onion, pepper and mushroom. Cook until slightly softened. Return the chicken to the pan, add the spices, lime zest and juice, stirring to coat the chicken and vegetables. Add the water and let simmer until absorbed, about 5 minutes.
Scoop the mixture into lettuce leaves and add your favorite toppings.